I finally got around to putting up the Christmas tree and decorations. I was not very excited about it, but together with my family we had a good time. DJ and Hannah helped decorate the entire tree. I only helped with a few areas, mostly with Hannah's areas. She likes to put 5 ornaments on the same branch! I also helped with the "fluffing" of the tree, the ribbons, and the topper.
It's not something you would see in a decorators magazine, but I like it. I like the personal touch of it. Most of the ornaments have a meaning or story to go with it. Don't get me wrong here. I love the look of professional looking trees. I have a lot of friends who do a beautiful job on their trees and decorations. They can come do mine anytime! But I am not that creative and I wouldn't know the first thing to do. So I just do what I like. (And what I can live with for 4 or more weeks.)
This is also the first year to have our tree in front of the window. Before it was either across the room from the window or in a corner and only a small portion was in front of the window. So we had to decorate all the way around this year. I like it this way!
This year is the first year to have Christmas in our new home. So I really had to think about what I was going to do with the fireplace. In our old home I had a floral arrangement I put in the center of the mantel and then added some decorations around the sides. I couldn't do that this year though. I figured I needed to make two arrangements. Thankfully I had enough items from the fireplace and kitchen table arrangement to make two new ones for the new fireplace. This currently leaves me without an arrangement for my table, but I will figure that out later.
Again, I am not a professional decorator, so I did the best I could. They could use some help, and maybe next year I will fix them. For now I like them and they are going to stay that way! I am proud of the vases though! They used to be clear with blue rocks inside. I decided to paint them this year. I really like the way they turned out.
And yes, our dog has her own stocking. Lexi is a part of our family. Every year I buy her a bone for the stocking and a toy/snack for under the tree. I have learned not to put them under the tree until the day of Christmas or she will open them early! What can I say, I love my dog.
I found this figurine on sale earlier this fall. I loved it! It has an older girl and younger boy snowman. Just like my kids. And I just love snowman families!
I have some other decorations around the house, but they are mostly figurines. I didn't really feel the need to take pictures of everything. Hannah also has a small tabletop tree in her room. Her favorite colors are purple and pink. So her tree is white and has a rainbow optical effect and it is decorated in purple and pink ornaments. It also is home to her ornaments she has received from her grandparents every year since she was born. All the ornaments are plastic, therefore I don't mind her playing with them. It keeps her off my tree!
No comments:
Post a Comment