Today I am making my second batch of brine for my turkeys. I am making two turkeys, one for the day before we eat and one on the day of! I got my turkey recipe from the Food Network's show Good Eats. Alton Brown is a genius in my opinion and I just love his show. I also love this recipe. I want to share it with you today!
Brine:
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tbsp. black peppercorns
1 1/2 tsp. allspice berries
1 1/2 tsp. chopped candied ginger
1 gallon heavily iced water
Aromatics:
1 red apple, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
4 sprigs Rosemary
6 leaves sage
Make your brine (minus the water) a couple days before and refrigerate. The night before you want to eat, soak your bird in the brine and water. Refrigerate over night, making sure the bird is completely covered with brine. You don't want uneven flavor! When ready to cook your bird, remove from brine and discard brine. Make your aromatics from recipe above. Microwave water, apple and onion together for 5 minutes. Then stuff them inside your fully rinsed turkey along with the rest of the aromatic ingredients and place bird on roasting rack. Cover bird with canola oil and place in 500 degree oven for 30 minutes. Then wrap breast meat with foil triangle and turn oven down to 350. Cook your bird until a thermometer probe (pre-inserted in beast of turkey before roasting) reads 161 degrees. This will ensure your dark meat is 180 degrees and your breast is at 160 degrees. Just perfect for both!
Here is a link to the recipe as well as videos:
No comments:
Post a Comment