Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Halloween Birthday

Iva turned 5 on November 8th. This past Saturday was her birthday party. Since her birthday is so close to Halloween, her mom decided to do a costume/Halloween themed party. She asked me to make the cupcakes. After looking at a few examples she decided on witch's hats. Betsy also rented a jump house. The weather was good and it was a huge success! The party was really cute and everyone had a great time. Including Iva!

The birthday girl!
Blowing out the candles. Since the cupcakes all had hats on them, we chose to put candles in a left over cupcake so she would have something to blow out.
Hannah jumping in the jump house.
Trey enjoying his witch hat cupcake. He didn't really want to smile or even look at the camera. This was the best I got!

I made Iva's a little more sparkly. Since she is the birthday girl, hers needed a little more pzazz!

Here's how I made them...

 Take sugar cones and trim off the bottom to achieve desired height for hat.

 Most of them trimmed easily. Some broke in the wrong spot. Good thing I bought extras!

 All trimmed and ready to cover.

 I made a pattern of the cone for easy cutting. Black fondant was my choice to cover the cones in. The directions I used called for them to be covered in black royal icing. But I can never get the icing black enough. So I chose pre-tinted fondant.

 I rolled it out thin and cut it using a pizza cutter.

 Then I rolled it on.

 Tucked under the bottom.

 And smoothed it out on soft foam.

 Thanks Duff for the pre-tinted fondant! It worked great!

 I put them in a large container and let them dry so it would be easier to decorated.

 I also made the rem of the hat with fondant. I used two cookie cutters and made these little donuts. I also let them dry.

 Glued on the top with buttercream icing I tinted as black as I could. Thankfully you couldn't see it! I then decorated the hats with a orange, green and purple. The finished product is what you saw above.

 Time for cupcakes. I love this recipe. I got it out of the Cupcakes by the Cake Doctor book. Yum!

They got a cute liner too! Then after the cupcakes were cooled I iced them in orange and lime green icing and topped them with the decorated hats. Iva's hat I added pearl dust to make it sparkle! 

No comments: