Thursday we had dinner at DJ's parents. As always it was a wonderful dinner feast! I stuffed my face, just as I do every year! Iva, Hannah and Trey played before and after. It brings back many memories of when I was a child, playing with my cousins during the holidays.
Hannah and Trey. Hannah is wearing her Indian hat she made at school.
Sophie and Lexi are sticking to the kids table, hoping for fallen scraps!
For preparation for my feast, I brined my second turkey Thursday night. On Friday I cooked the first turkey and packed it away for Saturday. I also started to make my pies. I figured out I am not a pie person. I LOVE to eat them, but I have a bit of trouble making them. My first problem was the crust. I couldn't get them right. My oldest brother has made pies before and so I called on him for some help. He came over and for some reason he couldn't make the crust either. So, I bought pie crust. Brandon thought I was committing a crime by doing so, but I had no choice. I then proceeded to make the fillings. I had to make the chocolate first because it had to set up before refrigerating. I followed the recipe perfect...except one step. I forgot to add the sugar. And since the chocolate in the pie was unsweet, the pie needed sugar. SO, when I realized I left it out (at the very end) I added it to the filling. I thought it was going to work, but it didn't. The filling never did set right and it tasted like crap!
The pecan pie I made was also not so great. DJ and I had a date night planned for Friday night. So I didn't have time to make the pie until after the date. It was 11 when I made it and I was exhausted and fell asleep. The timer woke me up, but the pie had burned on top. I was suppose to put some foil on top during baking if it got to brown. Oops! So the pie tasted good in the middle, but the top was too crisp. Bummer!
The rest of the dinner for Saturday was great! The turkey was perfect! And all the sides were yummy! I also make a caramel apple cheese pie (which turned out great!) and some banana pudding. That was also great! I gained 2 lbs. just Saturday alone! But it was worth it. (and I have lost all the weight I gained).
So now I am all turkied out! Once I am back in the mood to bake, I will be practicing my pies. I am determined to make a great pie! My grandmother didn't come out of the womb making perfect pies. It took time and practice (and patients) to make them, so I know I can too. I didn't take any pictures of the family! I know, bad for blogging!
1 comment:
I'm sure in time your pies will be wonderful, you seem to have a knack for cooking/baking! Does make me laugh that you forgot the sugar, though! Your turkey brine sounds great - I'll have to remember that for next year.
Post a Comment