Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Doodlebop Cake

For Hannah's birthday party this year we are doing The Doodlebops. I wanted her cake to look like Deedee Doodle's keytar. I didn't want to pay to have it done since it would be so expensive. This year we are trying to do things as inexpensive as possible. So I got the bright idea to make it myself. (Not sure what I was thinking) Hannah received a toy keytar like Deedee's for her birthday last year. This was my inspiration for the cake. It was just the right size to fit a 1/4 sheet cake, or a regular birthday cake!

Here are the pictures I took during the progress. I started about 2:30 this afternoon and with many breaks finished around midnight. I have done most of the work while Hannah was sleeping. I didn't really need a 3 year old's help! :)

I know that some of the colors and details need to be adjusted and worked on, but here is the test run. Let me know what you think. Should I do it again for her party or leave the cake decorating to the professionals?


9 comments:

Meagan-Marie said...

Wow! You did an awesome job!

Lisa said...

I think it looks amazing! You are incredible. Good for you for trying it...but you also succeeded! I know that Hannah will be thrilled with it.

Shelly, OTA in training said...

Okay, Jennifer - that is amazing! I wold definitely say do it yourself! I know it took a while, but I don't think any professional could do better. And it will probably be easier the next time.

Rob Dennie said...

It looks great. I have a big Doodlebop's sign if want it for the party.

Amber said...

You had so much patience with that cake and it looks incredible! Do it yourself, but get some rest the day of the party...it's exhausting even w/o having to make the cake! Can't wait for the party!

www.thepowellfamilylife.blogspot.com

Ashley S. said...

Very cute! Good job!

Nitzia said...

good job Jennifer! you really did an excellent job on that cake!

amy said...

Are you seriously asking us if that is good? HELLO? That cake could appear on Bakerella's blog! MAKE IT AGAIN! You've just got to. I am impressed! Now you know you can do things like that. Who needs a store bought cake when you can create your own!? (Set it on some coordinating thick wrapping paper or something colorful to go with the cake. Wrap your cardboard, or cutting board with it. Then set the cake on it.)

The Nelson Family said...

Wow!! That's fantastic. You definitely have to make the real one, but let me know if you need any taste testers for any more trial runs. :)