Monday, February 23, 2009

Doodlebop Cake Recipe

There were a few of you who wanted the cake recipe for Hannah's Birthday Cake. I used a recipe out of my cupcake book, Cupcakes! by the Cake Doctor. Here it is, it is super easy and so yummy!

1 pkg plain yellow cake mix (I used Pillsbury Super Moist Butter Recipe)
1 pkg vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup milk
1 cup vegetable oil
4 lg. eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (I used 1-1/2 tsp of Mexican vanilla)

Mix all ingredients on low for 30 seconds. Scrap sides of bowl. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. For Cupcakes: fill each lined cup with a heaping 1/4 cup of batter. Bake at 350 for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown and spring back when pressed by your finger. For a sheet cake: Pour all batter into a greased and floured cake pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and cake springs back when touched by your finger. The cake is going to be super moist, so remember to bake the sheet cake all the way through the center. I like to check the center by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean it is done. If it is still sticky I baked it a little longer. Once cooled the center will sink to be even with the sides. Makes 24 cupcakes or one sheet cake.

I used a simple butter cream icing to top off the cake and cupcakes. Here that is too:

8 T. (1 stick) butter, at room temp (I put it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to get to room temp.)
3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted (I didn't sift it)
3 to 4 T. Milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract (I used Mexican vanilla)

Beat butter in lg bowl on low for 30 seconds or until fluffy. Add sugar, 3 tablespoons milk and vanilla. Blend on low for 1 minutes and then on medium speed for 1 minute. Add up to 1 T. milk more if the frosting seems too stiff. Will ice 24 cupcakes or one sheet cake.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

The Nelson Family said...

Mmmmm! Sounds yummy! I'm always looking for a good buttercream frosting recipe. Thanks for sharing.