Thursday, October 6, 2011

Now I know how my parents felt!

When I was in high school I remember getting a flat tire. It was a bad flat too! It was at night and I had no idea how to change a flat tire. So I did what most teenage daughters do and I called my dad. He wasn't too happy but he came and changed my tire and the next day replaced it. What a sweet dad! I also remember when I was in elementary school, not sure what year, I got real sick. I don't remember what I had but it was bad enough that I slept on a pallet in my parents room. My mom I am sure kept an watchful eye on me all night and I slept in their room for about a week. A mom's job never ends!

Today has brought back these memories because I had to help my brother with his flat tire and both my kids have some kind of illness that has me worried as any mom would be! Lets start with the kids.

Hannah woke up yesterday with a bark-like cough and when she inhaled she made this awful sound like she was gasping for air. She even said she couldn't breath! Scared me to death. I took her to the doctor thinking she had croup, but it turned out to just be a bad cough. The breathing problems were probably due to mucus buildup in her throat. She was acting much better by the time we made it to the doctor. She has had a cough off and on and now has a hoarse voice, but hasn't ran a fever at all. So she isn't contagious but just sounds like she has a cold. Still, I'm a worried mom!

Trey has had a stomach bug the beginning of the week. He woke up vomiting Tuesday. But by the afternoon was completely fine. Again no fever! However today he has developed a killer diaper rash. He has very sensitive skin down there. So one loose bowl will tear him up.  He gets like this every couple of months or so.  He is currently in my bed awaiting bed time. He walks very careful and says "I hurt". It breaks my heart because there is not much I can do but keep him clean and dry. I am ready for potty training! I just need him to be ready too.

Then this afternoon my brother, Matt, and his wife come over. They stayed for most of the afternoon and then we were getting ready to leave to go to my nephew's birthday party and Matt's tire is flat. It is 4:30 and most places were closing. He doesn't have a spare tire and so we had to put his car up on a block so we can exchange the tire tomorrow. Correction...I have to exchange the tire tomorrow. He doesn't really have much money to spare right now, so I offered to help him out. Used tires are pretty cheap and work just fine in a pinch! I also helped him change the tire, but he did all the grunt work. I just supervised! :)

Parenting is great! I wouldn't change a thing. And I love my brother like a son and would do anything for him, including getting him a new "used" tire!

No comments: