There is just no other way to explain it. I was robbed!
Wednesday I received a phone call from a company that wanted to verify some information on a package they were sending me. Knowing the world is full of scams, I told them nothing! They then informed me they were just doing a courtesy call and then we ended the phone call. I went to check my bank statement to be sure. Sure enough my worst fears came true, someone was using my credit card to make purchases I didn't want. GREAT!
There were two unauthorized purchases: one from Shake Weight totalling $125.55 and one from Beach Body totalling 150.29. They were made the following day. I first called DJ to check if he made the online purchases without telling me. He didn't. Then I decided to call the company's myself and see what information I could get about the purchases. I knew from my previous phone call with Shake Weight, the purchase was made in my name and phone number. Why else would they call me for confirmation. So after verifying that information they allowed me access to the account. I found out the account was set up under my name, phone number, home address and credit card information. And they were sending the item to my house. They even gave me a FedEx tracking number! The only thing that wasn't mine was an email address from Hotmail. I thanked the man and proceeded to call the next company. I was on hold for 15 minutes and not once was able to talk to a real person (or machine for that matter) when I decided to give up and let the bank handle that one.
I then went to the bank and canceled the card. I also found out about another purchase that was still pending to Forever Lazy for $537. Glad that one didn't go through! The bank was very helpful and told me I would not be responsible for the fraudulent charges. They also advised me to go to the police station and file a report. So I did. I gave them everything I found out on the phone with the first company and everything I found out at the bank. They advised me to go and get some security software from Best Buy (to replace my free online version) and some tips (that I already knew) about online safety.
I am now in the process of fixing all our accounts that have our old credit card information and securing our side of things the best I can. I do shop online and pay our bills online. But know I am a little scare to pass over my debit card to even the Kroger checker for my groceries. This just stinks! The last couple of days have been so mentally exhausting. I just pray this doesn't continue much longer and that nothing else comes up. And I hope the police can track this person(s) down and hold them accountable for the crimes they committed. I'm not holding my breath for the later.
Moral of the story: Be careful! You are NEVER safe online.
1 comment:
Sounds like at least your robber was trying to get healhty and thin. don't you feel bad for robbing them of a beautiful body! hahaha!
Post a Comment