Thursday, July 31, 2008

Roseola or Sixth Disease

Yesterday morning I got to sleep in. DJ got up with Hannah and fed her. When I woke up and come into the living room, DJ said that Hannah's face looked blotchy. When I took a look I noticed it looked more like a rash and so I checked her out on her belly and back too. Sure enough she had broken into a rash. I was scared because I had never seen this before (on my daughter). Her fever had gone away the day before; I didn't know what to make of all this. I made her an appointment with the doctor. Turns out she didn't have just a fever virus; she has Roseola. It is a fever virus that causes a rash after the fever goes away. It is seen in children under 4 years, usually. It is caught the same way a cold is caught. I have no idea where she got it from. It started Saturday and the only time we were around other kids (that were not sick) was on Wednesday at Wild River Country. I guess she could have gotten it there or at the store. The doctor said it would get worse before it gets better. And she is not contagious anymore. I still don't want to take her out because people don't know she isn't contagious and give us funny looks. I would post pictures of Hannah's rash, but I wont get my camera until tomorrow. So here are a few pictures of the rash from the Internet that look most like Hannah's.

This is what Hannah's belly looked like

And her back

And this is a mild picture of what her face looked like. Hers was more solid red and swollen. If she still has it tomorrow I will update with her photos.

1 comment:

Amber said...

We are praying for her!