Wednesday, September 12, 2007

My House The Monster...

This blog is dedicated to all the mom's (and dad's) who keep their house neat and tidy.

I have not always kept my house clean. There was a time that I would be embarrassed if I had an unexpected guest. At the time, I felt overwhelmed by the house chores it took to keep my house neat and tidy. It took lots of therapy and Flylady to banish my fears and keep my house in an orderly manner. I am proud of myself. (And the fact that I can tell you this now!) For a month and a half I have kept my house neat and tidy. This is a big deal to DJ. It is one of his Love Languages. Therefore, it is important to me to keep it this way. The last week I have adjusted to having a puppy AND a clean house. That was like a speed bump in my new routine, but I have it under control now. Again, I am proud of myself!

Then the unthinkable happened. I got sick. Not just a cold, but a fever, coughing, headache sinus infection. For two days, it took all I had just to keep Hannah safe and fed, and the puppy from driving me crazy (with few accidents). Needless to say, housework was not on my priority list. I thought about taking a picture to show you, but I would be too embarrassed. So I will give you a brief description of the kitchen alone: two dishwasher loads of dishes, a dirty dinning table, and enough trash to fill half of the trash can! I know!! Bad!!! Thankfully DJ was home all day Tuesday to keep and eye on Hannah so I could recoup. He also cleaned the living room and bedroom. Big Help, Thank you DJ!! I am picky about how my kitchen is cleaned, so I have asked DJ in the past to leave it up to me to do the kitchen. Now that I am feeling much better (antibiotics) I tackled the kitchen monster and other chores today. I got a lot accomplished in one day. Once again, I am proud of myself. I know with time, I will be able to keep my house clean and not even have to think about it. But for now I am, as my therapist likes to say, taking baby steps!

If any of you have ever felt overwhelmed by house work, try www.flylady.com. You will be amazed at what you can do in just 15 minutes!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Know exactly what you mean...after a few days it really adds up! Randy is also picky about the house, so I make every effort now to pick up! Sounds a lot my house! Glad you're feeling better!

Shelly, OTA in training said...

Hi Jennife! I just discovered your blog. I am the same way about the house. I feel like I do way more work than I should and with not-so-good results and am always reading declutter books and cleaning tips. Two things that have helped alot are the 30 second rule (if it takes 30 secs or less do it now) and the camper's rule (leave a room cleaner than it was when you came in). Can't wait to check out the website you recommended.