Hannah has started writing in school this year. Her teacher had mentioned getting her a journal so she can practice writing more. It has been about 9 weeks ago when she mentioned it and I am just now getting around to buying her one. I know, terrible mom! However, she has been practicing off and on just not in a special journal. Tonight we rectified this! I bought her a journal and tonight she made her first entry:
"I plae in sinrs."
Translation: "I play in centers."
Then she drew a picture of all the centers she plays at school. I am really impressed with her writing sentences. I'm not sure if this was normal when I was in Kindergarten. I can't remember writing much, but I do remember learning to read small words. The idea for her is to write a sentence, making sure to capitalize the first letter in the sentence, put spaces in between each word and use punctuation. The spelling is suppose to be phonetically and I'm not allowed to help her with it. This was hard for me at first! But I have improved my non-interfering and she is improving with learning the phonetics of the words she wants to write.
Some nights she is not interested in homework at all and on those nights we will just do the minimum required for "homework". On the nights she is interested I try to do different sorts of things. I usually let her decide what she wants to do other than the required.
I love to see her read too! She brings home books they make in school and reads them to me. Last year we were just learning the letters in the alphabet and learning to "write" her name. Now she is writing sentences and reading! She has come a long way and I am so proud of her!
No comments:
Post a Comment