I have been decorating my tree in blue and white/silver since DJ and I first married. At first it was a dark blue but over the years has changed to a light blue. My first tree skirt was a dark blue, but it just didn't match my tree this year. So I began the hunt for a skirt that was the same colors as my tree and that was big enough to go under my WIDE tree. I found one, but it was $170 dollars. It was a handmade skirt and very pretty, but I wasn't paying that much for something that was only used for 4 weeks a year and that would be covered with presents over half of that time! So, I figured I would have to make my own. I looked on Pinterest (for he first time) and found a skirt I wanted to make. Apparently ruffle skirts are very popular right now. I found a sewn one and went to work. I bought my fabric at 50% off, something unexpected. I already know how to sew and have a great machine. It took me a better part of 3 days to complete but I am really happy with the finished look. I don't really are for Pinterest, but they came through for me this time! I spent a little less than $40 dollars on my one of a kind, homemade tree skirt! I think that is a deal! Here is a link for the tutorial. And below are my pictures of the finished project. I didn't use a serger, but instead did a roll hem on my machine and I also used my machine to "gather" the fabric which cut a considerable amount of time off the finished time.

The finished skirt! I love it!
I had a hard time picking the right fabrics. I originally wanted just Christmas patterns. But I found that wouldn't work since they didn't have many patterns in my colors. I did find two snow flake patterns in light blue and white. One had brown too, but it still worked. The other 4 rows are just light blue and white patterns that I liked. One of the white patterns has silver and gray crosses on it. I found this was a must for my skirt since Christ is the real reason we celebrate Christmas! Sorry this photo is so blurry! It as taken with my phone and I didn't realize it until I enlarged it. :(
It works with the colors and it big enough for my tree! Yay!
The full tree (from the side).
No comments:
Post a Comment