Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Trip to Texas = Disaster (updated)

All my distant family lives in Texas (my side). Since I have been married I have made the 7.5 hour trip to see my family a total of 3 times. I would love to see them more regular but every time I travel there without DJ something major happens.

Six years ago a friend and I traveled down to visit and the morning we were leaving a big, loaded down truck headed to a construction site ran a red light and totaled my car. My friend hurt her arm and went to the ER. DJ and my friends fience rushed down to pick us up. They made the trip in 6 hours and still had on their golf shoes from their game they just started when we called.

Two years ago my brother Matt, Hannah and I flew down for a 50th wedding anniversary. DJ was going to drive down an pick us up and then drive back. On the way down Hannah dislocated her elbow and we went to the ER. The dislocation didn't correct itself until 4 or 5 days later. I can't remember exactly. Also on this trip my grandmother had a blocked bowel and was severly sick and had emergency surgery.

This time was going to be the breaker of all bad things and everything was going to go smoothly. DJ had to work and so once again I was going onle with the kids, my bro Matt and his girlfriend. In Saturday while getting everyone ready for my family reunion I noticed Hannah had a sore on her left toe. it looked infected but I figured it would be fine with some ointment and a band-aid. then I noticed her right ankle was swollen and hard. The swollen ankle made me decide to take her to a doctor. Since I am from out of town and it being a Saturday I decided I would take her to the same ER we visited 2 years ago. GREAT! Turns out they were seeing a lot of staph and said she had MRSA staph. the doc gave her a prescription and sent us on to the reunion.
The rest of the trip was going fine and the night before we were going to leave I felt we were out of the woods. only to find a big tree limb laying on top of my car. My grandmother has several Arizona Ash trees in her yard and they are all about 30 years old and huge. One of the bigger more heavier limbs fell and landed on a smaller one and then both landed on top of my car. Thankfully the smaller limb broke the fall but it was still a big mess. It was around 12:40 in the morning I noticed it and so I called my uncle and with his help ad my mother and brothers we were able to cut off the limb little by little. We finished around 2am and I was finally able to go to bed. I got about 4 hours of sleep before having to get up and drive home. The car survived with only a few surface scratches. We did make it home safely, but I will not be going back with out DJ ever again. and DJ said the same!

2 comments:

Shelly, OTA in training said...

That is just crazy! I don't blame yo for not wanting to make the trip again by yourself. I hope Hannah is recovered and I'm glad your car is okay. Still - Wild!

Nitzia said...

sorry to hear that! it is very hard to travel with out your husband and kids... my trips to Mexico have always been crazy ever since i had Sara! good thing no one got hurt :)