Monday, May 11, 2009

Being sick is not fun...

Especially when you have two kids and a husband who is working nights and sleeps during the day. Oh, and it is Mother's Day weekend with rainy weather! That is how my weekend went, but here are the better details.

Friday we had an appraiser come look at our house and so the whole week I spend cleaning the house and getting it ready for him to come. In other words, I over worked myself. Thursday night I felt some tenderness in one of the girls (I am still breast feeding) and despite all my efforts to relieve the blockage it developed into Mastitis. This is where one or more of my mammary glands has become inflamed and infected. The symptoms are a sore and swollen breast, flu like body aches, fever and chills. I woke up Friday morning with all of these. I did all the recommendations (including bed rest) and nothing was working. So I had the doctor call me in some antibiotics to help me get better. I started feeling better Saturday off and on, but yesterday was the first day I got out of bed without pain or discomfort.

Because of all this, DJ has been trying his best to take care of me and the kids and still get enough sleep for working nights. We also had a birthday party to go to on Saturday that we had to miss (very upset about) and a Twister game that I couldn't go to. This would have been the first of the season I would have gotten to go to since we have season tickets. Maybe next time. Also it was my younger brother Matt's first time to go to prom. I wanted to be there to take pictures of him in his tux before he left, but was on bed rest and couldn't do that. He did come by to let me see him which was so nice of him. He looked great. I can't believe he is that old! The other thing I was upset about was missing church on Mother's Day. It was my first with Trey and I was looking forward to a wonderful day with my kids and husband. Instead I was stuck to the house and rest!

Well despite being sick from breastfeeding, I still plan to continue. However I think if I get this again, I may consider stopping. I don't think I could do this again! It took everything I had to keep my sanity and take care of the kids too. Hopefully this is a one time deal! Happy Mother's Day to everyone. Hope you all had a better one than me!

3 comments:

Nitzia said...

so sorry you were sick! i can imagine the pain you had, you are so brave to still want to continue breastfeeding. I hope you do not get mastitis again.

The Nelson Family said...

Poor girl! I hate that for you. What a crummy way to spend your Mother's Day! I hope you are feeling much better very soon!

Lisa said...

So sorry about all of that! I pray that you are feeling better quickly!